Monday, December 30, 2013

29 before 29

Let me start this post by noting that three of my good friends are named Amanda. My boyfriend's best friend is named Amanda, one of my closest friends who is as close as a sister is Amanda and one of my closest work confidants is an Amanda. This can get confusing especially when they aren't really prone to nicknames. Anyways, work Amanda and I both have December birthdays. Last year she compiled a list of 28 goals to accomplish before 28 and then she blogged about them and then she felt really fulfilled. This year, I want to get me some of that. So today I present my list of 29 goals before 29.

In creating this list, I made up a lot of rules to govern this process and a goal of how many goals I wanted to check off and timeline and spreadsheet. Yesterday, on my birthday, I decided that I wanted the theme of the next year to be "More Adventure, Less Worry" so I decided to do away with the trite planning that has derailed me so many times and just be in the moment with each goal. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, I still turn 29. If I want to make something on this list happen, I have the power to manifest its ability to happen. So I present 29 before 29 in no particular order.

  1. Sell one thing on Etsy
  2. Save $300 in a Christmas fund
  3. Get another tattoo
  4. Go surfing
  5. One month no spending
  6. Hit my goal weight
  7. Knit something other than a neck warmer
  8. Write more, specifically in this blog
  9. Complete 200 Jazzercise classes
  10. Learn to make sausage w/ casing
  11. Teach Girlfriend 3 new tricks
  12. Read 12 books
  13. Go to the opera/ballet/symphony
  14. Eat rabbit
  15. Camp with Jake more
  16. Watch all Disney animated movies (There are 53 counting Frozen.)
  17. Run a race
  18. Put money in a savings account aside from my Christmas fund, possibly using the week in the year method
  19. Do ten diamond push-ups successfuly with perfect posture
  20. Learn the foxtrot with my friend Kate
  21. Make some sort of fermented beverage
  22. Email my grandma 4 times
  23. Mail cards to my mom, dad, brother, grandma and grandpa for their birthdays and Mother's/Father's day
  24. Get my oil changed 4 times
  25. Get a passport
  26. Use my passport to leave the country
  27. Write a children's story
  28. Play in a soccer game
  29. Hike in the desert

7 comments:

  1. DUDE! You're awesome. I'm so excited for you.

    BTW, we should go to a ballet/symphony/opera together. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make it a point to go back through and look at the overlap between out lists and we can do some of these things together.

      Delete
    2. For sure. Theatre plans already in the works :)

      Delete
  2. this list is great!! lemme know if you want some knitting help/inspiration :) (step 1. get a Ravelry account if you dont already have one. step 2. friend me.. greenribbons.. just because.. you know, we're friends)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I've made neck warmers but nothing more. Not even a scarf. Not sure what I want to do but I need to get on Ravelry and find something I want to make.

      Delete
  3. patrick, i love this!!! congrats on such an awesome list. one question though. how does one go about "one month no spending"? teach me the way! i'm interested in doing that myself. :) oh, and hbd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie. "One month no spending" will not be able to be quite as literal as it sounds. My goal is to not spend anything on additional entertainment other than my normal gym membership and Xfinity bill. This includes lunchs out, coffees, movies, and Target runs. The only things I can see myself having to spend money on would be food. I plan to fill my gas tank up all the way and make that last a month as well as walk to work instead of taking the bus as often as I have been. We shall see.

      Delete