Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Disney Movie Review: Dumbo

My best memory of Dumbo has nothing do to with the movie at all but is about the ride at Disneyland. Not even so much about the ride but about a bad blurry picture my dad took using a neon green  Ninja Turtles camera that printed a picture of a turtle giving a thumbs up in the left hand corner and took this weird film that came in a U shape.

I don't remember what the occasion was to be at Disneyland but what I remember was that were were there and my dad and brother were in the elephant in front of us and my mom and I were one elephant back and my dad took my camera to take a picture. I was scared because I was scared of everything but my mom was really cool about it. She let me work the joystick at my pace. The picture has my mom in a traditional beaming Disney smile. I am not and I can best describe the way my mouth looks with this letter: S.

So my associate with Dumbo has always been my mom which is perfect because that is what Dumbo is really all about. A mom has a son who she loves and he turns out to be a freak and she protects him. The story is pretty simple. The animation is beautiful for being only the fourth full length Disney animated feature.

What gets me everytime is when Mrs. Jumbo, Dumbo's mom, is locked up for protecting him and she comforts him while "Baby Mine" is sung. I think I cry everytime. I think about a simple memory at Disneyland and I picture I've had since I was 6. This causes me to think back to think through my favorite memories of my mom and I.


No comments:

Post a Comment