Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: Pinocchio

My favorite thing about weekends is waking up around eight and laying in bed while my little family sleeps. My bed just humming with the mechanisms that create life from both my man and my dog. Just laying there and knowing they are at peace. I get up and make myself a cup of coffee and bundle up on the couch and sometimes I make cinnamon rolls from a can. Eventually, the dog follows me in and then  Jake will follow suit and the day begins. Somewhere between coffee and Jake I will watch a movie and of lately I've been checking movies off my list.

A few weeks ago I got up early and decided on the Pinocchio. Pinocchio was the other VHS that my brother watched on repeat as a kid. (The first was The Rescuers Down Under which I was underwhelmed by and you can read about.) I've also rode the ride at Disneyland more than I can count but the movie as a whole kind of escaped me.

The movie basically happens in three acts: Stromboli, Pleasure Island, and Monstro with an introduction and conclusion. The Stromboli act is a creepy tale of child labor (which tends to be a theme of Disney animated features) complete with several European stereotypes being played by marionettes. Act two is Pleasure Island which is again about child labor where bad boys go to a playground and somehow turn into donkeys because they are acting like jackasses. My favorite part has always been Pleasure Island because in classic Disney fashion the magic is in the details my favorite being the Italian villa that is set up for the boys to destroy. Once they become full donkeys they are sold to salt mines. Finally, act three involves Pinocchio trying to find Gepetto who has been swallowed by a whale and ends with (SPOILER ALERT) Pinocchio drowning in a puddle.

The movie is sad and beautiful and tries to manipulate you emotions a little too much and Jiminy sucks at his job. Jake hasn't seen most Disney movies and walked in at the end of Pleasure Island. Having grown up on these movies, it is always interesting to see how Jake reacts to the second half when he comes in the room. I know most of his comments are in jest but he does a great job of pointing out how dark these movies can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment