Monday, October 20, 2014

Cross It Off: Opening a Savings Account

I started the year with two goals about money. First, was to save $300 for Christmas to lighten the burden of Christmas finance drain. Second, was to open a savings account and save a certain amount of money for the holidays. I knew early on that I should have just taken $300 from my tax refund and saved that for Christmas and called it good but I didn't and then it just got to be too late. 

The second was just terrifying. I worked at a bank for years and I know all of the tips and tricks they would use to sell me things. I thought if I went to a credit union it would be easier. It wasn't. The lady who opened my account was just as slimy and saleswomanesque as they are at Chase. It was uncomfortable and she told me that I wouldn't get a fee from my bank for using a cash advance and I did.

What did I learn?
Financial stuff sucks. Banks suck. Credit unions suck. Next time, I will bring a chatty friend who will just talk to me so the banker can't ask me condescending questions. At least, I have $25 in a savings account where another $25 will go every two weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment