Sunday, November 16, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

I don't think I ever realized until I was an adult that these two movies went together. I distinctly remember Mr. Toad from Disneyland and Ichabod reminds me of watching Disney film strips in fifth grade. It wasn't until about three years ago when I saw this DVD as a combo pack at Target during Halloween that I decided to pick it up which lead to a rabbit hole of learning about the War time compilation films starting with Fantasia and ending with The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

It is hard to take them as a pair as they couldn't be further a part. One is a turn of the century tale that centers on modernization and established wealth and is a zany and outlandish. The other is a classic American story from the colonial period that sets off each October properly. While they a misjoined pair, I look forward to watching them each year.

In 2012, right after buying this DVD I spent it cat sitting for Amanda Clem drinking pumpkin beer, trying to make Dia de los Muertos figurines, and eating Granny Smith apples in that shelf stable caramel sauce they sell in produce section In 2013, I watched it after Jake and I had been to Target and I had picked up this weird foam skeleton craft kit. I put the skeleton together while Jake napped on the couch. I skipped the apples and caramel. 

For 2014, I had this on my radar since the very beginning of the goal. I knew this was the movie to signal Halloween. So in early October I bought apples and caramel and apple cider but each weekend didn't feel right. I went to Chicago and watched Fantasia which is my other Halloween movie one weekend. Another I woke up late and we were in Silverton and then finally Halloween came and went with no time to watch my movie. Once October 1st hits, it might as well be Christmas for how quickly the days fly by. Anyways, I watched the movie on November 2nd with coffee and butter toffee creamer and warm Fall oatmeal having watched Tim Burton's Sleep Hollow the night before.

I love this movie not only for its ability to ring in Fall but because it is also the turning point for really great animation. While the stories are good, the animation is really quite great. Mr. Toad feels light and ethereal. A land where animals and people really talk is totally believable. Ichabod is ominous and dark with a spooky but light side that is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment