Sunday, November 16, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: 101 Dalmatians

As I get to the end of my journey to watch all of these Disney films, I realize that I have watched almost all of the old films. With 7 movies to watch left and me leaving to see Big Hero 6 in 15 minutes, this was bound to happen but it does make me a bit sad to bid farewell to the golden age of Disney (well except for the fact that I am saving Peter Pan for the day before my birthday because it is my favorite). 

I ordered 101 Dalmatians from the library almost 6 months ago but they only have 5 copies and it was just released on DVD for the first time in like 100 years and I had to wait and wait. Some how along the road, I got Jake to say he would watch it with me. Now Jake wasn't raised on Disney like I was. He has two older siblings that are 7 and 3 years older and he says he spend his childhood watching Freddie Kruger and Tremors instead of Alice in Wonderland and Pinocchio. I watch most of my Disney movies on Saturday or Sunday mornings while he sleeps for a bit and plays on his iPad and sometimes he comes in and watch the last half of one with me asking confused questions and being shocked by Pinocchio being drowned in a puddle. This was all to say that I was really excited when he said he would watch 101 Dalmatians with me.

I love dogs and have a bit of an affinity as of recent for Disney movies revolving around dogs (The Fox and The Hound, Pocohontas, Lady and the Tramp). I remember really liking this VHS as a kind with my brother. My favorite dog was always Rollie because I empathize with the fat hungry kid. I wasn't sure how this would stand the test of time though especially against so many other pupcentric movies.

Of course it still remains a great movie. Jake seemed to like it too cooing over animated puppies, feeling bad for Perdie when her pups are stolen, and generally interacting with all the dogs. Girlfriend didn't have as great of a time in a general state of confusion about why the TV kept barking. Cruella Deville remains one of the worst villians in my opinion with her greed and lack of heart. Overall, it stand the dog test of time and will now forever remind me of the Disney movie that Jake could finally watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment