Monday, December 22, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: The Lion King

The Lion King in a lot of ways is the perfect Disney movie. It has a great cast of characters that continuously rotate and change. It has a three act format and distinct scenes. The songs are on point and the capitalize on using awesome actors.

I watched The Lion King on my recent last minute visit home for Christmas baking with mom and dad. The Lion King is kind of a gut wrencher when watching with parents. I mean showing Mufasa dead and Simba wedging himself under his paw while you are sitting next to your dad. Jesus.

In some ways though, this movie has always been almost too good for me. It is at that point of perfection where it holds you attention but it almost bypasses that point of connection because it is too perfect. Simba of course is prideful and flawed but he is a lion and lions are harder to relate to than mermaids. The perfect story structure, the lack of a lackluster song, the perfect introduction of fart humor. I find myself loving the movie but being a little skeptical because it doesn't lack the flaws that Aladdin (women need protecting) or the Little Mermaid (girls should change for me) or Beauty and the Beast (women are properties). Don't get me wrong.  I own the Lion King but it definitely alludes my top ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment