Saturday, December 27, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6, The Great Mouse Detective and Treasure Planet

I will call this out on my own right now; I am behind on my Disney movie reflections and tomorrow morning I complete my goal of watching all 54 Disney films in one year. Here are my reflections on the films I have missed:

Wreck It Ralph
Every year I ask for a handful of Disney movies. Last year, it was Wreck It Ralph but I hadn't opened it until very early December. Once I embarked on the goal to watch all Disney films I knew I wanted to save some of my favorites for the end.

I love Wreck It Ralph because it is so not Disney while being entirely Disney at the same time. I love the references to my our Original NES as well as the arcade. I like how it is really intricate and detailed and that the story is a little hard to follow.

I also really like the idea of the imperfection be exactly what is needed to make everything right. That the things that make us different even if they can be harmful can also be special. I also like candy.

Big Hero Six
I like Frozen but it is definitely a princess story. I am glad to see that Disney is alternating stories with Tangled with Wreck It Ralph as it's compliment. Frozen's compliment would be this year's Disney release, Big Hero Six.

It is quite similar to Wreck It Ralph in that it is big and bold. It is an action packed commitment to loud rock anthems and comic books. I am a big fan of Marvel movies so the blend of a Marvel story with Disney animation was right up my alley.

The movie has a big impact because it also includes the traditional comedy elements that most Marvel movies have. Finally, it plays well with the current trend of the importance of sibling love that was important in Frozen. This time the kill off the brother though.

The Great Mouse Detective
This is one of the white clam shells that I grew up with. It is a little unknown unless you are a child of the 1980s. It also is a strange play on Sherlock Holmes and has some absolutely frightening moments. There are two specific moments where I jump in this movie still to this day.

Sadly, I did start this movie a couple of times and had a really hard time getting into. When I finally did watch it, I was cold and had a hard time staying awake. The movie is dark in both tone and actual animation. It has some pretty funny moments and the fact that the main character is obviously a rat parading as mouse is weird and great.

Overall, it sits in the middle of the pack of movies that I don't really plan to watch again, I will remember the clam shell fondly but don't plan to return soon. I would like to meet Ratigan at a park though.

Treasure Planet
This movie was okay. Toward the bottom of the pack okay. Remember in the 2000s when Steampunk was just getting going? Well this movie is all about it and I hate it. Joseph Gordon Levitt has a nice voice but overall the story of Treasure Island is overplayed and the weird aliens with monocles isn't that entertaining. Definitely wouldn't watch again unless I have a brain swap with a manga loving, Steampunk tween.

No comments:

Post a Comment