Saturday, December 27, 2014

Check It Off: Running a 5K and Going to the Symphony

There is less than 1 month to go before I start the last year of my 20s. It is amazing how the year starts out so slowly and then warps into hyperspeed. It feels like just a few weeks ago that I was laying on the beach and trying to get through a book. Now I am veraciously reading to meet my 12 book goal and attending countless Jazzercise classes. I have only a handful of Disney movies to watch and less than 7 blog posts to write to hit my goal of 100 posts this year.

I planned yesterday to be a double whammy as an purposeful accident. I wanted to pack the Thanksgiving weekend with fun events to jump start the holiday spirit but Jenny couldn't go to the symphony on Saturday so I just went with a packed Sunday of events.

Let's start with the 5K. I wanted to run a race for a lot of reasons. First, I did some running in college on an intermural team and I really enjoyed running with other people. My body doesn't stand up to running a regular activity very well but I wanted to just get out there and feel the wind again. Second, I have never worn a race bib before. I wanted to get that official feeling of just making it happen. Finally, I am trying to keep my physical activities broad instead of just relying on Jazzercise as my main cardio option.

The Ugly Sweater Run wasn't the most official run of all time. It was more about dressing up in funny outfits and drinking hot cocoa as people walked which is totally fine. In fact, it was great because it meant that Jake, Jenny and I felt fast. We passed people and it felt like we were winning something that didn't have winners. Also, I really liked getting to kick off the Christmas season in an ugly Christmas sweatshirt and an easy run (even though I am sore).

The symphony is something I have always wanted to do but have never really had the funds or knowledge to make happen. Jenny was a great motivator. We decided to go to a symphony where they played Disney songs over the animation on a big screen. It was overall great but we didn't know there would be vocalists and no one sings "Let It Go" as good as Idina Menzel. Overall, I really liked the symphony part of it and would love to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment