Monday, April 14, 2014

Cross It Off: Making Kombucha

21. Make Some Sort Of Fermented Beverage

Why did this make the list?
Similar to making sausage, this was something I just wanted to do for awhile but never did because of the logistics. Fermented beverages are all so expensive yet so inexpensive to make I really wanted to make my own batch and see how it compared. I made beer a few times before and really enjoyed it.

What did we do?
I got a SCOBY from Amanda and followed a recipe from The Kitchn. The process was pretty easy. In fact, I did most of the brewing the first go around while watching the Superbowl. I bottled three weeks later and added in organic cherry juice. The bottling process made me really nervous and I put it off until the last day before leaving for Florida. Brewing was easy but it came down to either dumping the whole batch and starting new when I came home or sucking it up and going the the home brew store. My fears were validated when the guy at the home brew store was a dick when I asked about bottles.

What did I learn?
The Kombucha turned out good. The second batch I did a few weeks ago was even better. Good enough that I brought some in for our last potluck. Kombucha is really easy and probably not worth $4 you spend at the store. It takes a lot of counter space and after a few brew cycles you are probably bored with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment