Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: Sleeping Beauty

Jake gets back from a 9 day vacation tomorrow evening. It has also officially switched to Fall here with rain and breezes and all of the pumpkin products on the shelves. Jake and I haven't seen each other much since August and I am pretty glad to have him here for snuggles tomorrow. I decided to mark my last night of solitude with a little Dancing with the Stars, a pumpkin cider, popcorn and Sleeping Beauty.

I think Sleeping Beauty is the most beautiful classic Disney movie. I have been saving it for a special evening because I like it so much. As a kid, I always thought Sleeping Beauty was the prettiest Disney movie. There is something about the vibrant colors and the detailed background that captivates me every time. The scenes where they are in the castle and they show the town folk marching in are always so beautiful in their intricate detail.

I also love the villian, Maleficent. She is pure evil and my favorite Disney movie narrowly beating out Captain Hook. I love how they animate her to look so beautiful yet so creepy at the same time. She looks entirely inhuman and yet not as grotesque as some of the other villains. Her dedication to vengeance and creative approach to torture are impressive.

Additionally, my favorite Disney prince was always Phillip. He finds his lady and he isn't going to be tied down to some betrothal, He also has the best outfit of all princes and he can sing.

And then their is Aurora, the princess with the least screen time. She is beautiful but doesn't even really drive her own movie. It is the fairies that really push the plot and they may be the unsung Disney heroes that deserve more recognition. They are funny and clever and caring and flawed.

This movie has all sorts of flaws. It isn't modern and it tells girls they need a man to save them. It is hard to find anything socially redeeming in this movie. It is just beautiful and there is something for just wanting to be rescued. Maybe I played my cards right here in strategically watching this while I miss my boyfriend and after visiting Aurora's fake castle in Disneyland but when Phillip races up the tower to Aurora and swoops up and kisses her and she awakes with a simple smile I think everyone can identify with just wanting to be saved a little bit. The idea that a kiss can make everything better is trite and cliche and totally brainwashingly romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment