Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day Four in Canada: Sexism

I feel asleep early last night so I never posted this entry so I am doing it now.

Today's entry is about sexism. It is less an entry and more a rant. I should tell you we did a lot of things and saw a lot of things and I had a great time before I rant.

So my parents are laying for all of the food on our trip and billing me at the end to reduce multiple foreign transaction fees as well as having to constantly get separate checks. Additionally, cards are run differently in Canada. Here they bring the machine to your table and run it right away. Every time, they bring the bill and my mom sets her card on the bill in the center of the table which, judging by proximity, makes it impossible to know whose card it is. On multiple occasions when my mom hasn't given a cue that it is her card, the server hands the portable device to my dad who is obviously not paying attention. One time he was looking out a window at a boat. In two instances, the server made a face when my parent corrects them indicating the server knows what they did.

WHY!?! My mom's name is on the card. She is named Deborah not Terry or Pat. She is making eye contact with you. My dad is looking at a fish tank. This is small d insignificant but it drives me nuts that people assume that the big man is paying for the meal. Absolutely nuts.

Even worse is that my mom just shrugs it off. At fifty, I can't imagine how many times this or something similar has happened and she just rolls with it. I asked her about it and she said she does take it personally.

My mom is a great person and so is my dad which means they both deserve an equal opportunity to pay for my meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment