Friday, May 23, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: The Princess and The Frog

Post working at Disney I had a bit of a cooling off period with interacting with all things Disney. I didn't see the Disney movies that came out. I should mention that I was kind of an asshole during this period as I was consumed by drinking and partying and buying designer jeans I couldn't afford. Part of the reason I wanted to watch all 53 Disney movies was to catch up on some that I missed (and apparently I wasn't missing much according to Chicken Little).

The Princess and The Frog was my welcome back movie. My parent's took me to see it for my 24th birthday. I was still kind of a butthole but was about to have my world turned around with meeting Jake and going through some significant health problems.

The Princess and The Frog goes back to the traditional princess story roots but puts the emphasis on hard work and determination instead of wishing on a star. Tiana makes her dreams come true by putting in the effort. It has funny sidekicks and plenty of charm. It is everything in a classic Disney movie with a modern feminist spin.

People say that this movie marked the beginning of a new golden age of Disney. I mean even Jake thought it was funny. It marks a turning point for both Disney and a turning point for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment