Friday, February 7, 2014

Completing the Spending Fast

Today marked the completion of my one month of no spending which has also been known as my spending fast. I liked the term fast because when people to fasts they usually don't 100% abstain from something but they primarily don't do that thing and when they do, there are rules.

The past months expenditures were limited to food from grocery stores, eggs from the Plaid Pantry, $20 in gas, $24 to pay the balance of my new glasses, bus fare, $3.29 for new hair product (I'd run out of every jar I owned and I have to look like a professional), the regularly reoccurring monthly bills, and a box of donuts that work is reimbursing me for. Originally, I said that I could use my gift cards which I didn't end up using at all. In fact, I even went shopping at one point to find a birthday gift with my Macy's card and couldn't do it. 

So what did I learn:
  1. Spending frivolous money leads to a lack of money which leads to worry and stress
  2. Brunch might be more fun when it is cooked at someone's house.
  3. You can get almost any form of media for free. Movies at the library, books online from the library with an eReader, music with Spotify.
  4. Weekends are just as full when you aren't spending money and you might actually find time to do things you've always wanted to do. (Like reorganize your craft cupboard.)
  5. Target is evil. 
  6. Sometimes people get anxious when you are doing something because they think "should I be doing that". Don't take it personal but stick to your guns.
  7. I drastically underestimate my grocery budget.
What will I continue to do:
  1. I am going to avoid browsing. It is a trigger and I do it when I am bored. There are a million other things I could be doing (I can think of at least 28)
  2. Regularly checking my bank account. There is something freeing about having money in there.
  3. Connecting with friends in meaningful ways that go beyond buying something.
  4. Think about whether or not buying whatever I am holding is really worth it. Is this a necessity? If not, how will this benefit my life in 3 months? In a year? In five years?
How do I feel:

  1. Accomplished.
  2. Richer.

Originally, I planned to break the fast by buying Taco Bell but Snowpocalypse has thwarted that plan. Tonight will be spent with my homegirl Amanda while Jake is in California watching a few more Disney movies and copious amount of dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment