Thursday, February 6, 2014

Snowpocalypse

My entire childhood was spent somewhere it never snowed. It never was possible because it was Southern California. Snow was the thing you went to the mountains for and it was always pretty melted and you threw some snowballs and then came home.

Then, I moved to Oregon where snow is a twinkle in Winter's eye. It is the mischievous curveball that December to March can throw at you. Sometimes it never happens but when it does it is something, well, magical. Schools and businesses start to shut down and you get to go.home early. Cooking, while a totally valid option, becomes unthinkable and everyone orders pizza for no reason than to see if someone will really deliver it. Clothes you never.wear get revealed. Movie, couches, blankets, and hot liquids are mandatory. Everyone is a little worried, a little frantic and a little excited.

Today, I took my dog our into the snow for the first time and it too was magical. Jake and I thought that since she hates the rain she would hate the snow. She is a little prissy but as soon as I let her off leash away she zoomed and then back and then away and then back. Galloping through the snow that at this point took up a good amount of her leg length. I threw snowballs and she chased them only to run back to me. We played until my gloves were soaked through and she was wheezing from the cold.

I realized in this silly cold moment that these are the most important parts of life. These are the things you will hold onto when you slowly fade away. Not an exotic vacation or fancy party or expensive pants. You'll remember your first dog chasing snowballs in fresh snow for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment