Friday, February 7, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: The Black Cauldron

The Black Cauldron is arguably one of the most unknown Disney movies. Maybe only the compliation movies rank below this one but The Black Cauldron is so underground I'd never even seen it. I was pretty excited to spend the first night of Snowpocalypse and while Jake was in California with an unknown treasure.

First, this movie is weird and the characters names are even weird. This actually started at work when one of my coworkers coincidently asked me how to pronounce a written name I had never seen before and then told me that her student was named after a character from The Black Cauldron. I even went as far as to video Princess Eilonwy saying her own name and to send it to my coworker. We still aren't any closer.

Second, this movie is kind of scary. The horned king is a skeleton who regularly chokes a goblin and wants to raise a zombie army of skeletons. Also, his eyes glow red like Satan's. The henchmen are also pretty frightening and there is a weird gypsy whore who is their play thing.

Third, there is a pig who you hypnotize and then you put her snout in a bowl of water and she shows you visions. What the hell.

Overall, it is a good hero tale of adventure and sacrifice and living up to your true potential even if it manifests in a different way. It reminds me of Labrynth or of FraggleRock. A weird fun romp that makes little sense but quickly passes 80 minutes and you aren't worse off.

No comments:

Post a Comment