Saturday, February 8, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection The Hunchback of Notre Dame

I decided to spend day three of Snowpocalypse in hibernation mode with just me and the dog since Jake is gone. We have Lambic and Ben and Jerry's and smoked cheddar popcorn and Orange is the New Black. Eventually my OITNB binge got tired so I walked the dog and decided to round out the evening with The Hunchbak of Notre Dame. A movie about someone forced into isolation when I've locked myself in my proverbial bell tower.

This movie came out at the precise moment that I decided I was too old to like Disney's animated movies and moved into Flubber and The Mighty Ducks territory. I remember watching it on Christmas day and deciding on principal that I didn't want to like a kids movie so I didn't pay it any mind.

This movie is far from a kid's movie. Most of my Victor Hugo experience is based on Les Mis in all of its incarnations. The Hunchback while cleaned up a bit is still a sad tale of an doctrine enthusiastic figure head who is power crazed and tortured by his conscience. You spend most of the movie feeling intense pity for Quasimoto.

Disney usually does a great job of peppering a sad story with silly sidekicks but Hunchback misses the mark. The gargoyles are funny but get limited screen time and their antics are jarring to the story. It is as if they are inserted a breath of fresh air from the story but it doesn't work. Also, Esmerelda has a goat named Jolly which is supposed to be grumpy and serve comic relief but I hate him.

For being so serious though and not loving the comic relief, I did like Disney's version of a serious story. The songs are amazing and remind me of Les Mis in their style and ability to move the story forward. Sometimes Disney songs are great but they seem like just a break but the songs in Hunchback are written in true musical style which was enjoyable.

My last thought was on the idea of being abled and differently abled. Some of you probably hate how PC that is and I don't care. That is for another conversation. Anyways, I feel like the idea that some who is differently abled can save the day is a great message. I do think they could have done more to resolve the fact that everyone calls him ugly throughout the movie. Quasimoto is arguably the hero but I want there to be a really big in your face moment that hits you over the head with "just because someone is different doesn't mean they aren't useful."

1 comment: