Friday, July 18, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: Atlantis: The Lost Empire

I don't remember this movie coming out. Not a movie poster or a toy or a parade at Disneyland. Not a commercial or a McDonald's promotion. Where was I?

So I spend the past weekend in sick jail on a very warm Saturday night in which I could barely breath. I had watched plenty of Orange is the New Black and played plenty of Injustice. I decided that the evening required me to get some Cran-Tan (my go to "I am sick and therefore need to push fluids"beverage), some intense cold medicine and some clearance circus peanuts (If you don't know what these are, you are an idiot. If you do, I think they aren't going to sell them anymore at my local Fred Meyer. They have a quick sale sticker and I fear they are going away forever) and to dive into one of the two clearly aimed and young boys but I have not remembrance of Disney movies on my list (the other one is Treasure Planet).

My expectations were muddled. I know this isn't a blockbuster and having recently watched a few non-blockbuster Disney movies recently that usually is not a great indicator of quality. I do like the myth surrounding Atlantis. I hate Michael J. Fox because he was extremely rude and embarrassed me while I worked at Disneyworld (that story is for a later date). I think all of the animation that I have seen is pretty except for how dweeby the main character looks.

The movie exceeded my expectations but is not total gem. I enjoyed myself but I don't think this is a movie I would come back to. I think I spent 20% of the movie on my phone which is low compared to other bad Disney movie and high compared to my favorites.

What did I like: The movie had a calming effect possibly because because it is primarily blue. The story arc was unexpected and I really liked that Atlantis wasn't an underwater city but a city that you have to go underwater to get to. It lives in a secret bubble far under the sea. Additionally, it wasn't just another version of mermaids and sharks but was really inventive.

What didn't I like: The characters were not well developed. There were too many and you need to identify with them because most of them turn their back on the main character and then feel bad for it. It doesn't land if I don't really know the characters. Additionally, they really railroad you through the story cramming events in really quickly. It would have been better with better editing.

I can see why this wasn't the greatest Disney movie of the century or even didn't do very well. The characters were good but I don't want Milo to be my spirit animal. Additionally, while I am glad that it isn't an entirely underwater romp the movie clearly lacks animal companions which are needed to really make this kind of movie sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment