Sunday, June 1, 2014

Disney Movie Reflection: The Jungle Book

This is one of the Disney movies where I remember the story but didn't remember the movie. I know the songs and the characters but I just didn't really remember the movie. I also feared that the movie was going to be vaguely racist or at best culturally insensitive.

It was generally the opposite. Pleasant and pretty. A good story with great songs. I like bears as you know and this has quite frankly once of the best Disney bears in the entire cannon. Baloo is hilarious. Each of the supporting characters are funny and embody a virtue or character flaw in a way that illustrates how moderation is as important as balance. Too much fun and Baloo looses Mowgli. Too much structure and Bageera pushes Mowgli away.

It is interesting to watching each of these movies that are classics in their own right but not part of my family's collection of bubbly white plastic packaged VHSes. Similar to Lady and the Tramp, this is a Disney movie I discovered and came to enjoy more as an adult than I recall as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment