Monday, August 25, 2014

Britney's Video Catalog Volume Seven: Blackout

Now that we have come over the hump that is marked by Kevin Federline impregnating Ms. Britney Spears and weird video "Someday I Will Understand" that came with it, we head into melt down territory. I haven't double checked my timeline but I am almost certain "Blackout" came out while Britney was trying to turn her melt down around. I think somewhere in here she dated Criss Angel Mindfreak?

"Gimme More"
I never really liked being sworn at from the beginning of this song. I hate this blond bob wig Britney but I really like the dark haired Britney in the Clockwork Orange meets truck stop stripper get up. She is beautiful but we are a full minute in and it is just B dancing on a pole with her dark hair. Just spinning and dropping and smiling and gyrating. We cut to her blond self laughing at the bar with her Lake Oswego girlfriends. The blond brigade are joining the Darkone on the pole. The changing color strobe light effect really doesn't add anything. I really like this song so it kind of drives me nuts that this video is just her dancing on the pole and showing off her butt cheeks. Her hair is clearly a wig. It looks so damaged. Britney. I just want to hug you and put conditioner in your hair. I would do that for you.



"Piece of Me"
Paparazzi starts this video which has been used way too many time by Britney. We are cutting from her doing some just sexy dance moves with her girlfriends out a window at paparazzi (I feel like we have seen this video already) to her dancing on a sound stage in another crop fir jacket in front of orange, red and blue can lights. Her belly button is still pierced so I am glad that has been lost in the last ten years of videos. Now we are adding in this thing were Britney recreates a famous tabloid moment and we get to see her ass in a g-string in this video though because she just decided to drop it all for the camera. I feel like this is the point where she crossed sexy to trashy. "My Prerogative" and "Gimme More" were close but this is not great. I hate her disguise to get in the limo and then her firing back about the coochie shot thing. Britney, you didn't wear panties with a short skirt in your crazy phase and the world saw your postpartum vagina. It isn't anyone's fault but your lack of underpants. This song always felt like a poor attempt to acknowledge of how much of a mess she is and acknowledging it in this video really doesn't do much for it. Her tight tiny purple dress makes her looks so thin and druggie. And the hair again is fake and damaged. This video which is supposed to be her firing back about not being a mess makes her look like an even bigger mess. Everyone has to hit rock bottom.



"Break the Ice"
So this one is anime? Her animated version is beautiful though and I like Britney as a super hero. Just destroying big ogres of men when they come to attack. This video does feel a little like it is the same idea as "Toxic". Britney as a spy stealing a serum of sorts. Except that she is apparently breaking in to destroy her clone. Now she is approaching some insane looking villain and she is using her kiss to kill him like she did in the Toxic video except when she kisses him his body becomes overtaken by computer code which doesn't make sense and doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the video. She ends up destroying all the clones and all of the ogre men in a fury of bombs and fire that she just back flips away from and we get a "To Be Continued". Boring.



"Blackout" starts borderline trashy with "Gimme More", goes for the big sleaze with "Piece of Me" which I loved as a singe but hate as a video, and, most likely because she was in the middle of a heavily publicized melt down, opts for a fully animated video for the "Break the Ice". The arc seems so strange until you consider what is happening behind the scenes. I just feel sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment